Monday, September 26, 2016

Final Flight

Final Flight

Excuse the dramatic title. My Ravenwing aren’t going anywhere, just being shelved for a little while after a suitably dramatic tournament.

I wasn’t happy with how the ITC format affects my Ravenwing, which is what I was expecting. What I wasn’t expecting was to get the square off against Sean Nayden in the last round of the tournament. I brought a knight to help me deal with daemons and battle company, so of course there were only two battle company players and one daemon player, and I didn’t play any of them.

Instead I had to play tau round one, and barely pulled out a victory thanks to the 2+ rerollable and invisibility nerfs really hurting my survivability against them. Round two I played a marine player running a bizarre list with three thunderfire cannons and a bunch of land speeder storms and tabled him pretty quickly. Round three I played on table one against Sean Nayden. As in the guy who won LVO two years ago and placed 2nd last year.

Predictably, I got my teeth punched in, but I was surprised that I was able to follow what he was doing and the mistakes I made. When playing someone significantly better than you it can be hard to understand what went wrong and why you lost so badly. I was able to recognize my mistakes and spoke to him briefly for some feedback, and he agree with me about most of those mistakes. Being good enough to be able to learn from losing to someone that good was an achievement in itself for me.

I think that’s a good point to take a break with the army that has brought me a lot of success the last year or so, and I plan to bring them back once people start playing NOVA format again next year. In the meantime my Orks are ready and I’ve got a funky Talon Strike Force alpha strike list I’m going to try. The list I ran on Saturday is this:

Ravenwing Strike Force:
Librarian, Bike, Shroud of Heroes, Auspex
5 Black Knights
5 Black Knights
6-Man Command Squad, Banner, Apothecary, Grenade Launcher
Darkshroud

White Scars Librarius Conclave:
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Hunter's Eye, Sword
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Axe
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Sword
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Axe

Oathsworn Detachment:
Knight Warden, Meltagun

In the meantime I’m keeping list reviews open if you want to submit one. Any list with Space Marines or Dark Angels is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment