Sunday, May 15, 2016

May 7/8th. The Portal, Manchester CT

Format: Nova
Number of Players: 36
Rounds: 5
Placing: 19th (Ouch)


This tournament was at the same place as the last but the competition was completely different. It seems like only the better players were interested in a longer tournament/time commitment and the competition was way better. Even worse, due to some shenanigans with my ride bailing on me I had to catch a train at 6 am and was lacking sleep the first day. That said, I learned a lot from this one.


List:


Inquisitorial Detachment:


Ordo Xeno Inquisitor, Power Armor, Liber Heresius, Psychotroke Grenade, Level 1 Psyker, Rad Grenades
Inquisitor Coteaz
Henchmen Warband, 5 Crusaders, 4 Death Cult Assassins, Psyker, Priest w/ Eviscerator, Priest. Land Raider Crusader Transport, Psybolt Ammo, Dozer Blade

Ravenwing Strike Force:

6 Black Knights, 1 Grenade Launcher
Darkshroud
Attack Bike, Multi-Melta
6-Man Command Squad, Banner, Apothecary, Champion, Grenade Launcher
Librarian, Eye of the Unseen

White Scars Librarius Conclave:

Level 2 Librarian, Axe
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Wrath of the Heavens, Sword
Level 2 Librarian, Bike, Hunter's Eye, Axe


Game 1: 

Ultramarines CAD with Tigirius, Centurions, and a bunch of dreadnoughts
Result - 25-13 Victory

Game 2:

KDK Puppy spam with Renegades and Heretics Wyvern and Thudd Gun batteries
Result - 7-25 Loss

Game 3:

Blood Angels Stormraven Formation with Assault Terminator star
Result - 13-15 Loss

Game 4:

Mobile Suit Tau (Riptide Wing, 2 Stormsurges)
Result - 25-7 Victory

Game 5:

Space Wolves, Dark Angels and Ultramarines Conclave super friends death star
Result - 8-25 Loss

Highlights:
I think my list patched most of the weaknesses of the previous ones, but I collapsed against the better competition in this tournament. The lack of sleep day one (games 1-3) probably only affected the 3rd game, where on a few occasions I totally forgot about psychic powers I had cast. The two games where I got destroyed were due to me mis-positioning the land raider. Game 2 I had hoped invisibility would protect it from his bloodthirster, but in hindsight I should have made my bikes invisible and bubble-wrapped the land raider with them. Game 5 I underestimated his charge range and he bubble wrapped the land raider with his star, wrecking it and killing everyone inside with the emergency disembarkation. I also had never played against the 3 lists I lost to, while I play Ultramarines and Tau all the time. Instead of blaming my list or bad rolling, I'm going to keep my list the same and try to get some games in with a wider variety of opponents. Bad tournament showing, good learning experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment